Recently I read “The Ten Scrolls from the Greatest Salesman in the World” by OG Mandino and it sorta blew my mind. The scrolls are an excerpt from the entire book, and they are his statements of value or belief which help him to become the greatest salesman he can be. I haven’t read the entire book, just the ten scrolls which can be found by clicking here. His writing is beautiful, inspiring, and full of hope and determination.
“Through these scrolls, it will be done, for each scroll contains a principle which will drive a bad habit from my life and replace it with one which will bring me closer to success. For it is another of nature’s laws that only a habit can subdue another habit. So, in order for these written words to perform their chosen task, I must discipline myself with the first of my new habits…”
After reading some of these scrolls I began to think, why not create my own set of ten scrolls, my own personal statements of belief that I can speak aloud each morning to begin my day. In the book he writes…
“First, I will read the words in silence when I arise. Then, I will read the words in silence after I have partaken of my midday meal. Last, I will read the words again just before I retire at day’s end, and most important, on this occasion I will read the words aloud.
On the next day I will repeat this procedure, and I will continue in like manner for thirty days. Then, I will turn to the next scroll and repeat this procedure for another thirty days. I will continue in this manner until I have lived with each scroll for thirty days and my reading has become habit.
Herein lies the hidden secret of all man’s accomplishments. As I repeat the words daily they will soon become a part of my active mind, but more important, they will also seep into my other mind…”
I found this incredible, that before he has recited all ten scrolls he has spent one month on each scroll individually, and ten months total. Indeed, in this manner he really can weave each scroll into the fabric of his being and truly become fused with the constant ideology that each scroll represents.
These are the scrolls that I came up with after being inspired by Og Mandino’s beautiful writing. I was definitely influenced by his second scroll as the scroll I use is exactly the same. Each of my ten scrolls stands for a value which I have in parentheses after each sentence.
- I will embark on this day with a new mind, body, and spirit. (presence)
- I will greet this day with love in my heart. (compassion)
- I will work patiently and persistently. (perseverance)
- I will let my actions be free from emotional reaction. (equanimity)
- I will free my mind from arrogance and judgement. (modesty)
- I will take every moment to ask questions and expand my knowledge. (curiosity)
- I will speak only with honesty and never with deceit. (sincerity)
- I will act with great duty and care, not only for myself but for those around me. (responsibility)
- I will remain true to these values in the face of criticism. (courage)
- Above all, I will trust the guidance of my own mind after exploring its deepest valleys. (introspection)